If you’re a DIY-selfer like me, and like to make your own stuff for your home when you can, here’s a good one. I made this rustic chic box, after enjoying the fun over at Shanty 2 Chic’s website.
Here’s how I made mine:
1. Go find some wood to recycle in your garage~or your neighbors. 3/4 inch by 6 inches pine thats old and weathered is best.
2. Cut the ends 5 inches wide.
3. Cut the length16 inches long.
4. Use Gorilla Glue (the super glue of all time)
5. After gluing, nail the ends on with brads (headless nails).
6. Stain with Minwax Wood Finish. I used English Chestnut #233 for this darker box. (I usually like Gunstock, its redder but still richly dark).
7. Wait for stain to totally dry. Wipe with a rag. Wrap with jute twine, or butcher’s twine. I added a bottle cap from Reed’s Ginger ale. (To get the hole, I pounded a nail through the cap).
Then find pretty bottles, vases, or whatever suits your fancy in the kitchen, bathroom, or living room decor fancy! I found antique coke bottles and filled them with pussy willows for a natural effect.